Lipstick for Lovin’

Okay, so yeah, I’m single now.  Not really the story I was planning on telling at 36, but here we are!  I can’t pretend that divorce isn’t self esteem-shattering — but two years after the fact, I’m feeling kinda amazing.  My mom always told me she felt her sexiest in her 30s, and she aint wrong.  This’ll sound bizarre, but when I was younger, I was ashamed to be pretty because girls were so mean about it.  Growing up, my sister Brownie was always on standby, waiting to beat someone up for wanting to beat me up for “thinking I was cute” (nothing cute about having a 10-year-old bodyguard when you’re 13).  Even in my twenties, I’d be afraid to dress too sexy or be too flirtatious, lest anyone think I thought I was feeling myself.  Self-conscious like a motha.  But suddenly, like six months ago, I woke up and I was in a Whitesnake video.  Seriously, it all turned around.  When the rug is pulled out from under you and you’re forced to reinvent your life, either you crumble from the pressure…or you transform yourself into your biggest fan and kick ass.  Sink or swim.  It’s crazy, I flirt with everything that moves — coat check boys, middle age hipster dads in the diaper aisle, dapper gays at industry parties.  Just ’cause it feels good!  I’m sparkly, I’m hair choreography, I’m animal print, grrr!

Buxom Big & Healthy Lipstick in Barcelona helps.

Unless the guy is too hot.  I’m loathe to admit it, but I tend to lose bit of personality in the face of supernatural sexiness (one day I’ll tell you my mortifying Idris Elba story).  But you know what?  Lipstick helps.  Bright lipstick.  Its instant color confidence.  If your lips are vivid enough, they can be makeup equivalent of vampires “glamouring” their victims.  The tomato red or fuschia-purple hypnotizes the guy a little bit, knocking him off his perfection pedestal.  While he’s fixated on your lips, you have a sec to pull yourself together and reset the dazzle button (yeah, I just said ‘reset the dazzle button’)!  I have three going-out lipsticks I keep on standby:

YSL Rouge Volupte Pearl in Incandescent Orange

Thanks to Kourtney K. and Solange, tangerine dream lips have been the thing for like a year now.  My favorite ever is YSL Rouge Volupte Pearl in Incandescent Orange ($34), a creamsicle-colored, vaguely shimmery shade that somehow makes me look tan, despite my mid-winter washout.

MAC Lipstick in Quick Sizzle

Brand new from MAC’s Spring 2012 “Shop MAC Cook MAC” collection, Quick Sizzle is a mad bright fuschia that’s only appropriate when you’re feeling extra slinky and bold (or trying to get there).  At any other time, it’s a little too “David LaChapelle shoot.”

Napoleon Perdis Better of Red Devine Goddess Lipstick

Honestly, Napoleon Perdis Devine Goddess Lipstick in Aphrodite ($24) is the red to end all reds.  Creamy, moisturizing and so highly pigmented it’s still badass, three cocktails later.

Dying to know your favorite sexytime lipsticks!

1. March 13, 2012 2:55 pm  Reply

What a great post! I like wine colors for lipstick. This speaks to so many situations in life. We have the ability to change the story for the better. Good for you for looking at the bright side of the situation. Stay strong!
    xoxo

2. Jlynn719
    March 13, 2012 3:18 pm  Reply

Yes! The 30s are great for self confidence. I’m 31 and have never felt sexier! I’m getting back into lipstick, I just bought nars schiap after seeing Tracee Ellis Ross post about it. I love that piled on it looks like I stepped out of a 80s video but applied lightly it gives the perfect hot pink lip for me.

3. bermygal
    March 13, 2012 9:18 pm  Reply

Good for you Tia! I’m so happy to see your blog up and running. I’m a makeup mess and very inconsistent. I used to read your blog and make a wishlist of what I wanted to try. As a matter of fact, I still have my Stila Fiberoptics Mascara that you recommended. Now that you mentioned this blog has been out of commission for 2 years, I guess I should throw it out. :-)

4. March 14, 2012 12:30 am  Reply

So true about feeling good in your skin in your 30′s! My go to sex it up lipstick is Nars Funny face. Love it, so sexy!

5. March 15, 2012 3:24 am  Reply

I have two at the moment: Clinique’s Black Honey (I know, cult classic, iconic & all that ish right?) but truthfully I just got up on this shade about a year ago even after hearing about it for everrr. I love to layer Smashbox’s Desire gloss over it for a sexy reddish-nude look that works for my skin tone. I also love L’oreal’s Sea Fleur – I don’t think there’s a skin tone it doesn’t make pop! But I’m dying to try MAC’s Amplified PRO because everyone & I mean everyone seems to lust it so. I’m hoping they have it at the Makeup Show in June. Oh & Miss Tia-honey, restarting after a colossal relationship knock-down is one of the hardest things EVER, therapists say it’s the equivalent of a death in many ways so I’m glad you’re well honey & still fierce to boot! ♥

6. TNDRHRT
    March 15, 2012 4:47 am  Reply

M.A.C’s Media lipstick with clear lipglass over it or All My Purple Life lipglass!

7. TNDRHRT
    March 15, 2012 4:50 am  Reply

Also, you will be A-OK! I love how you are flirting with any ole body! Cute and it definitely gives you an ego boost!

8. skyeblue
    March 19, 2012 11:25 pm  Reply

I can totally relate to the not being comfortable in your own skin thing. I’ll hit 30 this year and I’m slowy coming around. Love this post!!

9. DDNICE
    March 26, 2012 9:32 pm  Reply

WOOHOO! I’M PROBABLY LATE- BUT I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE YOUR POSTS TO READ AGAIN- I MISSED SYB AND JUST HAPPENED TO READ ABOUT YOUR NEW VENTURE TODAY. YOU’RE AN AMAZING WRITER. BUT ON THE THE QUESTION- I AM IN LOVE WITH THE NARS CRUELLA PENCIL AND NOTHING BEATS NARS ORGASM GLOSS.