Look at My New Growth, Woot!

Ignore my complete bustedness, I just got out of the shower. I was in the middle of blowdrying my hair (yeah, sometimes I DIY it, I'm not strictly a salon girl), but then saw my fab curly roots in the front and had to show you!

I’m mortified to expose my makeup-less face to my girls…but my excitement over these seven inches of au naturale curls outweighs it!! I have never, ever seen this much new growth come out of my head in my life. I’d see an inch of roots and panic, run-walking to my Dominican salon for a scalp-singeing relaxer and fast. It’s funny how the connotations of your real texture change when you’re transitioning. What used to send me into a “must touch-up immediately” spiral now gets me all excited. I know it’s not a lot of new growth, but I can kind of get a picture of what my texture will look like when it’s all grown out! It gives me hope, ’cause this process is kicking my ass.

My magic blowdrying serum, Living Proof No Frizz Styling Treatment Straight Making for Coarse Hair

So that was Share #1.  Share #2 is the magic product I slap on these roots before I blowdry it straight. Living Proof Straight Making No Frizz Styling Treatment for Thick to Coarse Hair ($26). Have you ever tried Living Proof’s products? They’re special because a group of award-winning MIT scientists actually formulated the anti-frizz technology — they weren’t even connected to the beauty industry, they approached straightening curly to kinky, frizzy follicles on a purely scientific level. And honestly, it’s the best line of its kind. Anyway, I massage it into damp roots (just a tad, it does build up quite fast), and then smooth it out with a blowdryer with a brush attachment. The brush breezes right through, leaving my hair silky, straight-from-the-root, and super-shiny. The best part? Living Proof leaves a lightweight frizz-fighting barrier on your strands, protecting it from any humidity in the hair. So the blowout truly lasts a week! It also works on dry hair, before you flatiron. Genius.

Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Email to someone

1. Tierra
    April 30, 2012 2:45 pm

What is this blow dryer with a brush attachment?! Must. Have.

2. Selene
    April 30, 2012 3:33 pm

I’m totally fascinated by this entire process and cannot WAIT to see the end result! love you!

3. Coco
    April 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Stick with it. You will love your natural hair no matter what the texture is. And stay away from applying direct heat frequently. It will permanently straighten and damage your new growth and you’ll have to transition all over again. I know from experience. The Dominican salons will burn you bald with those hair dryers. Be careful. Congrats on your natural journey and welcome to the club!

• April 30, 2012 4:36 pm

I absolutely agree with this comment. I don’t relax my hair and I get regular press and curls. As a result, my hair will get curly when wet but it is pretty much trained to be straight.

If you want natural curls, too much heat and blowdrying your hair straight may mess up the results you’re trying to achieve. I think you should just go for it and do the big chop. It’s summery, chic, and you will have the full pleasure of seeing your curl texture as your hair continues to grow. You have the face and brows to carry it.

And when a woman changes her hair, it means she’s changing her life!

4. twilliams
    April 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Over my dead body would I big chop…it’s just not me, I don’t have the cojones. But more power to the women who do it! I’m in awe! xoxo

• LA
      May 1, 2012 12:12 am

I totally agree with Nichelle…stop playing homie!

You have more than enough swag to rock those halo of curls. And if you find that you’re not really feeling it, you could always get a curly weave until it grows to a length that you’re comfortable with. I was so like you before my sis eventually got on my last nerves and chopped off my hair for me lol

5. nik
    April 30, 2012 8:17 pm

I am totally cheering for you. I Big Chopped two weeks ago with only about half an inch of new growth! I wanted more length before cutting, but I was so sick of dealing with two textures that I just went ahead and cut it off. I was nervous at first. But I’m walking around here thinking I’m the most beautiful woman in the world…

6. April 30, 2012 8:48 pm

“Ignore my complete bustedness…” #confused

When are you ever “busted” my dear? Stop playin…

In other news, I guess you’ll be Lauren’s twin by summer, right? Ha!

7. Michelle
    May 1, 2012 2:02 am

I agree with Coco–be careful with the heat. I, too, had to start from scratch once because my mane refused to revert back to its natural curl after a session with a heat-happy stylist! Argh!

I think you should start wearing more wavy/curly styles that won’t require you to use direct heat. This way your new growth will blend in better with your processed strands. Once your new growth becomes longer you might find yourself contemplating a semi-big chop ‘cuz maintaining two different textures is really going to test you with longer new growth. If you’re annoyed now, wait ’til how you’ll feel in the autumn… 😉

8. alleyinn
    May 1, 2012 3:18 am

Tia- listen to your gut, if you don’t want to do the big chop, DON’T. If you want to still straighten your hair, go for it. I went natural 12 years ago. I’ve always had long hair past the bra strap (texture similar to yours) and I grew my relaxer out gradually without cutting. I still wear my hair predominately straight but when I’m in the mood, I’ll wear it curly as well. It has not messed up my hair texture.

9. DrennaB
    May 1, 2012 6:31 am

I was totally about to make the same comment as Coco and the rest of the ladies. I went through that heat damage once (and that’s what it is if it totally changes your texture to straight) and had to BC again. I don’t really care about chopping my hair off at any given time b/c it’ll grow back but I know it isn’t for anyone. But definitely slow down on your frequency of heat; your natural pattern can’t take that much without it being affect (whether the pattern changes, break off, etc..). It doesn’t happen to everyone, as the above poster said it hasn’t happened to her.

You know what’s a good idea (well, it works for many)? If you get a Chi flat iron to straighten your hair. But it has to be 100% b/c that’s one of the few ways your hair is almost always guaranteed to go back to its natural state.

10. BeautyBabble
    May 2, 2012 3:36 am

Did you see Carol’s Daughter’s new Transitioning products?? I hope you get your hands on that soon, can’t wait to see what you think. I attempted to transition last year…but I chickened out. I love to see the transition/conversation on others..awe-inspiring!

11. Mel
    May 2, 2012 5:37 pm

Tia dahling, missed you tons!!!!! Super geeked you came back to us. I am a natural who never quite got the hang of blow drying…Speak, if you will, on said blow dryer with brush attachment. I want details: brand, price point etc…The suspense is killing me….Like Tierra said, it sounds like a Must.Have.

12. May 2, 2012 6:13 pm

My hair is 100% straight in the top from blowouts, despite being natural. I big chopped in 2004, and people still ask me if I have a relaxer. Now I have to consistently straighten, b/c I can’t wear it “naturally.” Epic fail. Guess I could always chop again…

13. Bebe
    August 7, 2014 4:43 am

Hi, I have a question. I’m transitioning and I’ve never had curly hair not when I was natural and not for the 8yrs that I’d been relaxing. But I’ve noticed that my hair is always flat and curly right at the root then the rest of the hair is just thick and straight and won’t lie down. I’m not sure what my hair type is. Can someone educate me?

• twilliams
      August 7, 2014 8:05 am

Answering your question on the blog today!