I Chopped Off a Foot of Hair, Eeek!

There’s nothing more odious than long hair for no reason. You know what I mean. It’s thin, dry, fried and over…and why? Long hair for long hair’s sake does not a sexy look make. And girls, I finally realized I needed to cut my shit. For three reasons: I needed a change, my ends were decimated by relaxing and coloring, and — the most important reason — it would help my transition to natural hair. I just cannot Big Chop, but a significant cut would help me get closer to my new growth, right?

Getting fabulous color at the Beth Minardi Salon at Mark Garrison. My hair was longer than the end of the towel. And friiieeed.

So last week, I headed over to Manhattan’s famed Beth Minardi at Mark Garrison salon, and threw myself into the hands of Steven, master stylist; and Mark, master colorist (because my greys are taking over). First Mark gave me a really subtle golden chestnut hue with a few barely-there honey highlights for dimension…and then Steven happily chopped off OVER A FOOT of my hair. Et voila, my “lob” (“long bob” in affected beauty industry speak) a’la Gwyneth! What do you think?

Sassy new cut!

I cannot tell you how much healthier my hair is! So swingy and glossy and new, I can’t get over it. Mostly because of the cut, but also because I just discovered the world’s best deep conditioning treatment: Phyto Phytonectar Ultra Nourishing Hair Treatment ($30, worth it, just get it). Transitioning hair can be weak, easily breakable and impossible to detangle — and this twice-monthly treatment strengthens and moisturizes with egg yolk nectar, keratin and corn oil. Basically it replenishes your hair of much-needed moisture and proteins. To use, just massage a quarter-size amount allover your hair, rock a plastic cap, sleep on it and rinse in the morning. Or just leave it on for twenty minutes in the shower (that’s what I did). The difference in your texture will be staggering. I’m sold.

Miracle oil. Love.

On a totally different note — Shake Your Beauty is nominated for a Style Blogger of Color Award! If you think I’m at all lovable or entertaining, please vote for me…and tell your girls! Thanks ladies. Vote here: http://bit.ly/JhplKn

1. coco
    May 18, 2012 7:39 pm  Reply

It looks great Tia. You don’t have to big chop. I certainly didn’t. I transitioned for two years and gradually cut off the relaxed hair. Then I had to transition for another year and gradually cut off the heat damaged hair. Roller sets, flexi rods, twist outs, braid outs and good old fashioned snatch backs were my friends during that time. They do a good job of blending the new growth and straight hair without damaging it. Everyone talks about how hard it was to transition, but I really didn’t have that experience. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, it was smooth sailing. Those sistas on Youtube saved my hair’s life!

2. Shenile
    May 18, 2012 7:57 pm  Reply

You look great! It looks so much healthier.

3. M
    May 18, 2012 9:11 pm  Reply

I have srubborn grays too. I think Kelly Rowland should make a remix called, “When Grays Take Over” (yeah-ea-yeah)!

4. May 18, 2012 9:20 pm  Reply

Looks very cute and healthy! I went from June 2008 to April 2009 and then I couldn’t stand it anymore so I cut off a good amount myself. I had my first really big chop haircut in June 2009 at Devachan and it was pretty short, but I liked it. It’s now below bra length when straight and healthy and no more relaxer scalp issues at all! I’m going to have to try that Phyto condish, looks good. Glad you are feeling better.

5. Ashley
    May 18, 2012 10:03 pm  Reply

Yes! This pre-poo is everything! A beaut product junkie put me on to it in 2010. Magic!

6. May 19, 2012 12:00 am  Reply

Very cute lob. I didn’t big chop either, I got a cute cut then protected it with a (gasp) weave for 6mths. I don’t know how women wear those things, felt like a helmet on my head even if it did look natural & was human hair – it sure as hell wasn’t mine & I was very aware of that. My stylist used a technique she developed herself & was quite proud of but it took 9hrs to “install”, such a dreadful term when dealing with hair, no? It had to be tightened every 3months because my hair was quickly growing underneath & she swore I’d go another round! Hmph, after spending another 9hrs to take it down! No ma’am…glad to be all natural now & I cover my grey with Sebastian’s cellophane in Golden Brunette – it’s true gentle & cheap godsend.

7. angelita
    May 19, 2012 2:49 am  Reply

Your hair looks beautiful. But my question is about your makeup. What undereye concealer do you use and what makeup do you usually wear? Your face looks flawless. I have a similar skintone.

8. May 21, 2012 7:13 pm  Reply

LOVE the new cut! I used to use the Phytonectar all the time, I need to see if there’s a bottle of it around here somewhere, lol.

9. Simone
    May 23, 2012 2:03 am  Reply

You look great!! Change is good!

10. Angelica Golden
    May 23, 2012 5:23 pm  Reply

Stunning! Love the lob!

11. May 25, 2012 3:13 pm  Reply

Love it! I recently did the same cut–it was necessary. Long hair is pointless if it’s not healthy.

12. PrincessDJ
    May 30, 2012 1:04 pm  Reply

I love everything that you are giving! Even the scary side eye in the foil shot.
    You look amaze!

13. August 28, 2012 3:04 am  Reply

I came here expecting something else, but this inspired me regardless. Interesting stuff!