SYB Freebie: Carol’s Daughter Transitioning Kit

Hola ladies! Congrats to HeySuga1, the winner of last week’s SYB Freebie: Stila’s In the Garden Eyeshadow Palette ($39). I randomly asked you to confess your 13-year old celeb crush, and hers was Romeo from Immature. A snippet from her hilarious comment:

“My best friend and I tried to attend every Immature concert in the greater Midwest. Our get-called-up-onstage outfits were jean overalls and plaid body suits…which matched the bandanas we frantically waved in the air, wildly whipping the poor concert-goers behind us in the face.”

And now, onto a veddy veddy special SYB Freebie! Remember my post about Carol’s Daughter’s genius 1-2-3 Transitioning Kit? Only a brand as truly clued-in to their audience as Carol’s Daughter could come up with something so…needed.  The Purifying Extra Gentle Cleanser removes product buildup from all the leave-ins and styling products that Transitioners use. The Renewing Scalp Spray is like a facial for your scalp, increasing circulation and jump-starting growth. And the Restoring Anti-Breakage Treatment both heals the breakage-prone line of demarcation (where relaxed hair meets new growth), and nourishes Big Chopped hair, which can still be brittle eight months after your last relaxer. So smart!

And I’m giving five kits away — one each week, over the next five weeks! Can you stand it? To win this week’s kit, hit the comments section and tell me who your natural hair icon is. My fave comment wins!

xo, Tia

1. Tay
    May 31, 2012 4:17 pm

Okay, so as of late my fave natural hair icon is Elle Varner. Her curls are so freakin’ lush! I think we may have similar hair textures, and if I could only get my frizzy, stringy, heat damaged tresses to look like hers I’d be one happy woman. Her curls in the “Refill” video are the biz.

I’ve been wanting to try this line from Carol’s Daughter. I feel like it could really save my ends… They are scandalous. A mess. Not cute at all.

2. May 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Such a wonderful giveaway! With me, I’ve been “natural” for a bit now, but I used to have a problem with showcasing my natural hair. It was very tough for me to really come out of my shell and be proud of my natural hair. But after seeing more women embrace their natural curls (both online and in person), I finally realized that having natural hair is a benefit and not a detriment. When I first saw Janelle Monae rocking her natural locks it really made me brave enough to say “what the hell,” and for that reason, Janelle is my natural hair icon.

3. Jennett
    May 31, 2012 4:31 pm

My Fav is Lauryn Hill. When she was rocking that natural look singing “Look at what you be in, hair weaves like Europeans…Fake nails up out Koreans” I was bobbin my head like Yea girl what are we doing to ourselves. I’m finally giving that all up to go natural.

4. Angie D
    May 31, 2012 4:50 pm

This might not apply to the rules but my natural hair icon is my best friend, Whitney!! She’s been natural for almost three years and loves her jet black curls! I love the different styles she wears them in and her hair ALWAYS smells good!

5. Teri
    May 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi, My favorite natual icon is naptural85 on youtube. I have been natural for 3 years and doing it all wrong until i found her channel. Thanks to naptural i am have healthier hair and I am more knowledgeable about shea, oils and deep conditioning .. Whoop Whoop!.

6. Cherice
    May 31, 2012 5:12 pm

My natural icons are Tracee Ellis Ross and the Around the Way Curls ladies. All three style their hair creatively and make their hair look beautiful.

7. Angela Green
    May 31, 2012 5:12 pm

My favorite natural style icon is Chrisette Michelle. I’m transitioning in so many ways in my life right now (post-divorce) Right now, wearing a rod set until I get enough new growth to big chop. I adore her because she went for it – no apologies & nobexcuses! It was so cool to see how her look and her music transitioned as well.

8. May 31, 2012 5:26 pm

I have been transitioning for about 3 months now, and I get all my inspiration from CurlyNikki. I just adore her curls!!! I also like that her hair is so versatile; she can put it in any style and it’s just stunning. I plan on transitioning for at least 2 yrs and I REFUSE TO QUIT!!!

9. Dana Evans
    May 31, 2012 5:36 pm

I have always loved Tracey Ellis Ross. Her hair is so thick and curly. I envy her! But my all-time favorite would have to be Toni Morrison. Her dreads are so beautiful. The color of them and the length she keeps them suit her. I could not imagine her any other way.

10. cecilia m
    May 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Ok so my transitioning icon is the random lady that I see at the Carols daughter counter at my local mall. Now before you start to think am a stalker or something, let me explain. She is absolutely nd unmissably gorgeous. Her hair is ever changing, in it’s Diana Ross fullness, nd her accessories are to die for, today she is rocking pick comb earrings….. amazing. She looks poised and confident, clearly comfortable in her own skin. And here I stand at the counter across from her in my full wig, sweaty nd unoriginal trying to convinced myself that my hair has a very natural looking closure. But secretly dreaming of being like this natural goddesses before me. Nd one day have the courage to shout before everyone in the mall yay the world, “iam an African queen, nd this hair is my crown!” …Crap! She can see me starting at her…must act busy lol!

11. Minnie
    May 31, 2012 6:38 pm

My Natural hair icon is my 3 year old niece Sasha or as we lovingly call her Sasha Belle(hey I know it sounds like a stage name or even worse, but we’re southern y’all). Sasha Hates getting her hair done and my sister is as capable of managing her curls as a certain Disney Princess salon employee, so I have no problem doing it. When I sit her down after bribing her with candy and extra tv time, I marvel at her natural hair texture with the same infatuation as I do a brand new batch of ‘kinky straight’ from my fav. Chinese vender. You see, I’ve been relaxed since I can remember and as a result my hair is thin and unhealthy, so I wear extensions from time to time. Because of this my Sashbelle looks up at me and tells me she wants her hair to look like mine, and I felt like the biggest fraud alive even bigger than when I didn’t correct the SA at Carol’s Daughter when she assumed that the kinky curly was all me…. Anywho in the moments in bonding with my SB over CD’s TUI line, lollipops, and colored barettes I’ve realized in order to have this little one love her whole self I should take Gandhi’s advice and “be the change I want to see in the world”. Now I’m finding out what my natural texture looks like without the”creamy crack” But with the help of my kinky straight(can’t give up my 2 vices at once I ,may relapse) only as a protective style until my BC.

12. D Lynee
    May 31, 2012 8:58 pm

I have been really digging Solange’s transition, in more ways than one. Her big chop signaled to the world that she was moving in her own direction. No longer would she only be known as Bey’s baby sister. No longer would she be a slave to the salon. She took control of her hair, her image, and her career, and has truly come into her own. I look to her as a role model, not only because her style is fierce, but because she was confident enough in herself to ignore her critics and create the life she wanted. I look at her and feel hopeful and inspired.

13. Alexis Minix
    May 31, 2012 9:15 pm

I’ve really been loving The GlamTwinz334 on youtube. I get all my hair tips from them. Kendra and Kelsey are the cutest girls. I’ve been looking for someone to follow who has similar hair as mine and who didn’t need to do the big chop. Their product reviews are awesome and they explain why they like and choose their products. I love the fact that they switch up. In the winter they will straigten their hair with a flatiron and in the summer wear it curly. Sounds right up my alley as I still love to straigten my hair with a flatiron. Thank you to these ladies for helping me find my way with my hair.

14. Sheena
    May 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Combine impeccable style (hint: she wore a stunning yellow dress to the MET this year) and amazing natural hair thats as fly in twists as it is in a TWA, and you get a song-singing, record spinning, sassy single mama. I absolutely adore Solange Knowles’ natural hair and I’ve followed her journey since she did the big chop! From the moment Solange hit the scene, it was evident that she’d create her own lane rather than running with the crowd. I adore her free spirit and she has the best Tumblr page around…showcasing her style, her fab hair and journey.

15. Dominique
    May 31, 2012 10:29 pm

My fav would have to be Corinne Bailey Rae. Her hair is always simple but beautiful!

16. Michelle
    June 1, 2012 1:10 am

Tracy Ellis Ross gets my vote hands down. I’d love for my hair to be big, beautiful and curly like hers.

17. JenniferPo
    June 1, 2012 1:45 am

I have to say that my favorite natural celeb is Erykah Badu. I love that she’s transitioned her hair as much as her music. From the mile high head wraps to rocking dread extensions to going completely bald to out of control afro wigs to dying her own hair blond in mohawk fashion to rocking a stocking cap in her nude video debut. No one exemplifies transitioning more IMO and she does it so openly amongst the greatest scrutiny. I’m learning every day to take steps towards living and being what feels right for me everyday. I thank GOD for role models (including my mom Ms Betty) who scream, “I Woman Hear Me Roar!” Strong, independent woman who persevere no matter what! Living and loving authentically it’s what it’s all about for me. This natural hair journey is just another way I’m learning to embrace the real me.

18. JenniferPo
    June 1, 2012 1:52 am

I meant — “I am Woman Hear Me Roar” and independent “women”

19. June 1, 2012 6:15 am

I get my “her hair is everythingggg” LIFE from so many naturalistas, but I have to say that my natural hair main squeeze is a woman by the name of SanTara. She’s social media-lly known as “The Gorgeous Glog”, and her hair is the EPITOME of the middle word. She’s a twitter friend, turned real friend, turned sister, and her hair inspires me just as her big sisterly advice does. I’ve even gotten a chance to watch the transformation from wash, to a beautifully curled coif of a crowning glory, and boy was it a sight to see! Seeing the natural curl pattern make its return from the past days of manipulative products, and then make a U-turn back into the beautiful submission of a curl directed by a BOMB twist-out was BEYOND. I’m always floored by her hair’s beauty and I never get tired of staring at it, wishing mine was as obedient and stunningly confident. She’s forever my natural hairspiration.

Signed,
    a girl with hard headed hair…or maybe I’m just doing it wrong..lol.

• Gladys
      June 1, 2012 8:02 pm

I know SanTara, too! She is awesome! I agree!

20. Dominique Clayton
    June 1, 2012 2:37 pm

I love Brandy Norwood’s hair. She has shown how cool it is to be natural through her many styles from braiding, to weaves, to rocking her natural hair. I love her versatility because she always keeps me wondering what she is going to try next. She keeps it trendy yet urban and I love her for that.

Dominique Clayton

21. Shenile
    June 1, 2012 2:47 pm

Not only is she one of my biggest inpsirations PERIOD, but Angela Davis’ afro is to die for. Her fierce complexion, those eyebrows, her political work? (Can you tell I’m gushing?!) Strong, beautiful, all natural black women were NOT represented well back then, but Angela Davis was (and still is) our hero. Her fro was always so perfectly picked and she’s a big reason why I’m rockin’ an ever growing 70’s chic afro.

Thank you, Ms. Davis! You’re my icon and you’ve blazed a path for ALL women, not just black women. I love you, and you’re one of my biggest inspiration as a woman, an activist, and as a proud rocker of the fro!

22. Tif
    June 1, 2012 6:01 pm

I love Tanika Ray’s hair. I love that she likes it wild when she wants, and tame when she wants. I’ve been transitioning for 4 months, and although I do feel frustrated sometimes, there’s no way I’m going back to a relaxer- straight, damaged, boring is not for me anymore!

23. Gladys
    June 1, 2012 7:59 pm

I haven’t had a relaxer since January. 5 months into transitioning and I keep wavering. There have been days when I’ve wanted to go back to a relaxer, but then I know I will regret it. So I don’t. My natural hair icon is @serenity_23. Beautiful woman with beautiful hair that is similar to my texture. She used to blog, but doesn’t anymore. She is on Twitter, though. She may return to blogging. I hope so, but until then…. I hit her up on Twitter.

24. Nik
    June 1, 2012 10:57 pm

Lauryn Hill I must confess her natural tresses back in the 90s when she was Fugee La with Pras and Wyclef. This sista empowered us and influenced black girls to wear our hair in bantu knots, braids, twists, afros etc. Her beauty shined so deep within it glowed in her presence.

25. k
    June 2, 2012 5:16 am

My natural hair icon is my bestfriend she inspired me to continue my transition, when I became frustrated & wanted to go back to relaxers! she not only talked the talk of telling me I could do it, she helped me to learn what’s best for me. I’m so grateful for her because she help bring out a confidence that I didn’t no I was capable of. I no longer look to relaxers for that extra boost bc whether straight, curly or kinky I rock it with confidence.

26. Ashli M.
    June 2, 2012 2:45 pm

My natural hair icon is myself. I took a big chance by deciding to no longer get perms. I was scared and still am now that I am transitioning but I am so proud because I made a big decision. Although it’s difficult at times, I don’t regret it. When my twist out looks cute it reminds me that this new hair journey is rewarding.

27. June 3, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Tia! My natural hair icon is Tracee Ellis Ross. I remember that I decided to go natural when I was watching the first season of “Girlfriends.” Her hair stole the scenes, especially when she wore it down (well, I’ll say- “wore it out”, it wouldn’t stay down). Absolutely gorgeous!

28. LisaLisa
    June 3, 2012 7:20 pm

There are so many women with beautiful natural hair by my natural hair icon is definitely Brosia. Her youtube name is xGoldn. It is important for me to have an icon whose hair texture I can relate to, especially since my hair is more kinky than curly. Regardless of how she’s rocking her hair, she always looks effortlessly fly. I want to get to that point where my hair doesn’t define me, but rather my attitude and level of confidence does! If I had her hair confidence, I’d never be afraid to try new hairstyles or take chances with my hair then.

29. WendyCity
    June 6, 2012 2:41 am

My Fav “Au Naturale”Trois: # 1). Nikki from the blog Curly Nikki, #2). Tanika Ray and #3). Solange! Hey Tia, I’m so glad you started up Shake Your Beauty again! I’ve been Au Naturale for about 3 years and I’m still experimenting with products that will work for my tightly coiled hair! I’ve been so close to going back to the creamy crack, but I have decided to give a few more products a try! Keep the natural hair posts coming, I need all the advice I can get! 😉

30. Kia
    June 8, 2012 6:55 am

It might sound strange but my fav natural hair icon is my son. I have big time hair envy, every time I see him rocking his beautiful fro and coils. I’ve been really researching and thinking about going natural for the past three years, but I kinda feared it might seem to extreme for the work place. Lately, over the past year or so I have been seeing a lot of professional women/men rocking the natural look. Therefore with the encouragement from my son I’ve decided to go for it, relaxer free for 3 months so far so good…..

31. Yve Hhig
    June 13, 2012 12:43 am

my natural hair icons are goapele and Jill Scott. Their hair is gorgeous and I love the versatility of the styles they choose!

32. De'Ja
    June 19, 2012 5:54 am

Amidst Elle Varner and Jill Scott (two of my favorites), my hat goes off to Esperanza Spalding! SO beautiful; SO talented; SO natural! I’m in highschool and in discovering myself I’ve set aside straight hair and light skin as my beauty inspiration and am embracing all that is natural and organic. I’ve been transitioning for about 6months –sporting my wavy fro as we speak — and can’t wait to have my long, healthy, lustrous, and natural locks.

33. Nelly
    December 3, 2012 10:35 pm

Definately Nikki Mae of NaturalChica dot com / Nikkimae2003 via youtube. Any beautiful young lady that has time to earn a PHD in Engineering and sport big healthy natural hair (including how-tos for earnest newbies like me) wins the Natural Hair Icon Award in my book. Did I mention she’s refreshingly humble?? Nikki Mae for President!!!