New Growth! New Cut!

Yay! It’s wet, hence the slight jheri curl-ish vibe.

GIRLS! LOOK AT MY NEW GROWTH!! I have so much now, that I felt like I needed to cut just a little bit more off my lob, aka “Gloria.” Why have six inches of relaxer on the ends? So two days ago, I ran to Hair Rules for some transitioning healing — and Dickey the Great lopped off my locks into this bob! I now only have two inches of relaxer left on the ends…and absolutely NONE underneath!! I was doing the wop all over the salon.

While I was being shorn and sultrified, Dickey gave me so brilliant transitioning advice. Obvs, I had to share with you:

• “Unless you have straight, wavy, or relaxed hair, roller sets are terrible. Think about it, you have heat blasting on your hair for an hour. It’s so drying, and it does a number on your curl pattern. Plus, with thinning edges like yours, all it does it add tension in the area, causing it to shed even more.”
  • “If you want a straight style, use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. It straightens and dries without yanking or pulling, unlike the round-brush-plus-blowdryer thing. Then quickly follow up with a flatiron — just to smooth, not to straighten. Don’t let it linger!”
  • “Heat protectant sprays are a fraud. Spritz on flexible hold hairspray before flatironing, it works even better. And hairspray’s great for blocking humidity and preventing frizz.”
  • “Sulfate shampoos are the worst. The heavy soaps strip out all your natural oils, which causes all sorts of problems for transitioning hair. Would you wash your face with Irish Spring bar soap? No. Try suds-free, sulfate-free shampoos like Hair Rules Daily Cleansing Cream No Suds Shampoo. It won’t remove your oils, so you won’t have to overcompensate with heavy conditioners and stylers that weigh down hair.”

Dickey is fab. If you live in NYC and want in on his genius, hit www.theflycut.com for deals on services at Hair Rules — promotion ends on Tuesday! Oh, and naturalista SYB Babes…hook me up with some tried-and-true tips and tricks!! And ideas for what I should call my new hair, now that Gloria has passed. #wehardlynewye

xoxo, Tia

As chic as my new hair is, I’m still a tad traumatized that I’ve gone so short, though. Especially in the back, omigod — my hair hasn’t been this teeny since I was growing out my Meg Ryan shag, circa ’98. Eeek. Miss my long sitch, but it’s just hair. It grows. ** right? **

1. simoneisis
    August 10, 2012 1:06 pm  Reply

LOVE the bob! And yes hair grows :-P Take it from someone who went SUPER short again second time in 10 years :-D

2. Debbie
    August 10, 2012 1:16 pm  Reply

I like the new cut! It’s short but sassy. I bet it will be a lot easier to take care of as well. I’ve been natural for years now and my most important tip is stop paying attention to what everyone else is doing. My hair is unique and fabulous in it’s own way. I’m still a raging product junkie but I find my hair looks it best when I just keep it simple and give it what it needs. Feeling dry? Moisturize. Tangled and snagging on everything? Trim. Soft and lots of split ends? Protein. Nuff said.

3. angelita
    August 10, 2012 1:31 pm  Reply

Your so pretty you look great with every length. I really like your new cut. It’s so hot now I’m sure it feels a lot better. Speaking of heat. What is a good heatproof makeup regimen? Yesterday by the time I reached my destination my face was a hot melted sweaty mess.

4. FelicityR
    August 10, 2012 2:54 pm  Reply

The new cut is HAWT! You look mad young! This flexible hold hairspray thing has got me thinking, though… I may have to try it, because the last heat protectant I used left my hair feeling chalky as all get out. How does that happen? :-/

5. Angelica Golden
    August 10, 2012 3:23 pm  Reply

The Wop–LOL! You’re too funny. And Gloria looks fabulous. {waves to Gloria} Hey girl!

6. Lenoir
    August 10, 2012 3:28 pm  Reply

I trust no heat after having to big chop twice. Anytime you straighten your hair you run the risk of damage. Damag means straight spots. I had to make a choice to be kinky 100%.

7. BlackBetty
    August 10, 2012 3:47 pm  Reply

Tia, honey, your hair is giving me fever! It frames your face in the most gorgeous way. Also, if you’re adjusting to your new curly locs, trust me, it’s so much easier to get a new routine when it’s shorter.

8. August 10, 2012 4:23 pm  Reply

Tia your hair looks super healthy! I was going to say, call her Peggy Lee since she’s giving people fever, but the name sounds totally opposite how you look which is young and fierce! How about Maxine? Roxy?

9. August 10, 2012 9:46 pm  Reply

Looks great, Tia! Thanks for the roller set advice. I will go for a blow dry and quick flat iron instead of going for a roller set from now on.

10. Shenile
    August 10, 2012 11:56 pm  Reply

You look so much younger with your cut. I am so in love with it!

11. August 11, 2012 1:27 am  Reply

You look fantastic with your new cut (Skylar?)

It’s daunting cutting off all your hair at first, but in a year you’ll be shocked at how much it’s grown. In two years, it won’t feel like you cut your hair at all :)

• August 28, 2012 1:07 pm  Reply

There are specific naarutl vitamins for hair growth. Take more vit. A. It is an antioxidant. Makes healthy sebum in the scalp. Sources: fish liver oil, meat, milk, cheese, eggs, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, apricots and peaches.

12. Treece
    August 20, 2012 12:17 pm  Reply

It looks good on you!

13. Sharon
    August 20, 2012 1:41 pm  Reply

I agree with Juwon. Plus it will be much thicker.

14. Lavendar
    August 20, 2012 11:52 pm  Reply

I love your new cut Tia! You’re almost there girl. This new natural thing is not a walk in the park though. It takes a lot of time and error to sort things out, but I’m enjoying it nonetheless!

15. August 24, 2012 10:23 pm  Reply

Tia! Your haircut is soooo cute! I love it! With 2 more inches to go, that’s really good. Your life will be so much easier once its all off. It’s so much harder maintaining 2 textures than just one.
    You are much better than me. My transition didn’t last as long as you. I cut my hair down to about 4 inches. The summer AND transitioning= no bueno for me so I had to just cut if off. Can’t wait to see you rocking your natural curls. It’s going to be so pretty

16. September 12, 2012 4:53 pm  Reply

Cuuuuute cut. But Dickey stay cutting somebody’s hair off, doesn’t he? Geez…