I’m Back! With Freddie Brooks’ Hair!

Hiii muchachitas! Happy 2014! Hope your holidays were gorgeous – and that your 2013 was flush with profitable workdays and lusty nights. So yes, I disappeared for, like, nine months. I got very, very ill — there’s no other way to say this. My migraines became so disastrous that I spent more time in the hospital than not. Shout out to the Beth Israel nurses who’d ask for “rockstar eye” tutorials while I was nodding out on methadone (I’d gamely croak, “L’Oreal Voluminous Eyeliner!” Reflex). I had nothing left over to give to Shake Your Beauty, work, The Fly Cut, shaping my brows, or life in general. My Lina, who I never saw, was raised by committee – a team of Williamses and Cabezas – while I laid immobile in hospital beds, stunned by the audacity of this pain that just didn’t give a fuck.

lina1

This kid.

But today, I’m a lot better. For a couple reasons (we’ll talk later), but mainly and always this: Lina Lina Bobina needs her mama, so I fight. Like Daenerys fights for her dragons.

And it’s a new year! I’m pepperseeding into 2014 with joy in my heart, Clinique All About Eyes on my bags, and a tightly edited list of resolutions (the overarching thing is to not entertain anything/anyone that doesn’t make me want to bop around Brooklyn singing happy pop, like Mariah’s “Emotions.” Or Drake’s “Fancy”). My first resolution? To feel fully comfortable rocking my natural curls.

hair

Shout out to my girl, celeb makeup artist Brandy Gomez Duplessis for the look! More info on my makeover’s coming on Beautylish.com. In the meantime, email brandy@bgdmakeupartistry.com for bookings.

Yes, I’m finally root-to-tip natural. I like it! I wear it maybe two weeks out of the month. It’s still so new that when I catch myself in the mirror I’m startled, like, “WAIT, WHO IS THIS POINTER SISTER?” Or “WHY IS FREDDY BROOKS WEARING MY CLOTHES?”

unnamed

Or, the most disorienting, “KIMBELLA?”

unnamed-1

It’s not entirely me yet. I haven’t found my sexy in it. My ringlets make me look perky-cute, like I’m twelve (which is why my smokey eyes are on a thousand in that pic). I was discussing this with a friend of mine who declined to be identified – because you all know who she is and you’d be shocked that she talks this way – and she pointed out that “curls actually communicate that you wild out in bed, slutty-style, ‘cause you’re not worried about sweating your shit out.” I have yet to have any type of sex with my new hair, so this is another 2014 resolution.

I was also surprised, at first, that my texture wasn’t uniform. I feel like on IG, natural girls have perfect spirals – is it an illusion? I truly have six different curl patterns up in my head. And the blonde pieces are PIN STRAIGHT at the ends (more on my new golden hair, aka Honey L’Amber, in another post). But as in life, chaos can be fun, right?

Creme of Nature Straight from Eden Leave-In Conditioner Ouidad Define & Shine

So, the products: I avoid putting too much in my hair, because I turn into Rick James quickly. When it’s soaked, I run a quarter-sized amount of Ouidad Define & Shine Gel-Cream throughout – it leaves my curls soft, fluffy, and just frizzy enough. Then, I diffuse upside down. And on the third day, I mist on Crème of Nature Straight from Eden Leave-in Conditioner, which moisturizes and perks things up. I cannot overstate how delicious this smells. Really, it’s why I use it.

Guys, I’m so happy to be back. Can’t wait to love you all up in the New Year. Happy 2014, SYB Babes!

xxoo,

Tia

1. January 2, 2014 1:30 pm  Reply

I found your blog on essence and I’m so glad I did! Im happy to hear you are feeling better and p.s. I loved freddy from a different world.. did you remember when she went to law school and then started wearing her hair straight? lol

2. tea18
    January 2, 2014 2:05 pm  Reply

3. tea18
    January 2, 2014 2:06 pm  Reply

Welcome back, honeybun!

4. January 2, 2014 3:05 pm  Reply

Welcome back! I love your hair and I can’t wait to read about the color.

5. Jenn
    January 2, 2014 3:30 pm  Reply

Glad your back. 2013 was the year of the migraines. I suffer from them as well. Hoping 2014 is much better!!!

6. January 2, 2014 4:06 pm  Reply

Welcome back!!! You were missed.

7. Areina
    January 2, 2014 11:12 pm  Reply

I’m so happy you’re back! I’m so happy you’re back- reading your posts make me feel like you’re my own personal biffle beauty bitch and even though I can’t relate to EVERY hair post, your makeup tips help a clueless Italatina out in the clutch!! Love you and Lina, sending besitos from Rhody.

8. Erica Steverson
    January 3, 2014 12:08 am  Reply

I am SO Happy you are back, and most importantly, feeling better. Yay Tia is BACK!

9. January 3, 2014 1:11 am  Reply

Yaaaayyy! Welcome back gorgeous!!! ❤️

10. January 3, 2014 2:32 am  Reply

I’m happy to see that you’re back in action, in good spirits! My family has a history of migraines (mother/grandfather) and I feel your pain. Although mine are not frequent enough to have prescription meds, they are totally debilitating when they hit. I figured out my migraines were primarily triggered by stress, so whenever shit gets rough I start cutting things out lol. There’s nothing worse than trying to live your life then all of a sudden a migraine knocks you down.

Anyways, welcome back! Can’t wait to continue on this blogging journey with you. Happy new year.

11. logan
    January 3, 2014 8:45 am  Reply

So happy our make up maven is back! I’ve been a syb girl since the beginning, starting with Accidental Diva. So glad you are feeling better Tia.

12. FelicityR
    January 3, 2014 9:37 am  Reply

Good to see that you’re back and feeling well!

13. nineteen69
    January 3, 2014 11:07 am  Reply

Glad you are feeling better and your curls are FAB! Embrace them diva. You can always change it up with a flatiron when needed.

14. Gladys
    January 3, 2014 12:12 pm  Reply

Welcome back! I missed your posts! Happy 2014!

15. January 3, 2014 2:55 pm  Reply

You look absolutely fabulous Tia!!!! You’re curls do look uber sexy but I understand that you may not feel it yet, but it IS sexy!! And your friend was right, guys look at it differently like you will have all types of fun! Hope to see more of you and hope this year you feel alot better!

16. January 3, 2014 3:56 pm  Reply

Welcome back! I’m glad you’re feeling better. My younger sister has debilitating migraines as well. I love your blog & have been following your blog for years.

I love your resolution to wear your natural hair. I’m going on my second year and loving it. Most girls have un-uniform curls, but wearing it straight with heat will definitely alter your curl pattern along with any lighter color, which is why the ends of your blonde are straight.

17. January 4, 2014 1:16 pm  Reply

Welcome back! Missed you! Huggz! I knew something was up with your health as always when you disappear for a bit. I knew you’d be back when things were better. Happy to hear things are better and looking forward to 2014 and some great posts and product recommends. – Goes to get a bottle of Creme of Nature Leave-in – :-)

18. January 5, 2014 1:05 pm  Reply

We missed youuuuuuuu!

19. January 5, 2014 2:25 pm  Reply

BEYOND happy to have you back in the blogosphere! Your authenticity and unique voice was truly missed. Can’t wait to see what 2014 (and beyond) has in store for you and SYB. Onward and UPWARD!

Love ya,

*r

20. Suzie
    January 6, 2014 10:52 pm  Reply

So happy your back. Your my virtual glam-mother and I needed you bad. Dealing with adult acne and hyper-pigmentation and I need you Tia!!!

21. Angelicque
    January 9, 2014 4:29 pm  Reply

Glad to see you back, again.
    One of your originals, I sincerely miss you when you’re not around.

I found “Always wear Joy” on your re commendation many years ago and always think of you when I glance at it on my bookshelf.