Bouncing & Behaving: Beautiful Textures Changes Le Game

1993 was not a good look for me, in general.

1993 was not a good look for me, in general.

When I first went to college, my hair was a disaster.  I’d been getting relaxers since fifth grade, but there were no black hairdressers in Charlottesville, VA (shout out to UVA alums, wahoowaaa biiitch!). So I’d go months and months between touch-ups, give myself half-assed, horrible blowouts…and my hair looked like Mufasa’s. If only Beautiful Textures’ Texture Manageability System had existed then! If you haven’t heard about it, get into it. Formulated for naturals, transitioning girls, and relaxed chicks between touchups, the treatment helps elongate your natural curl pattern — but it’s not a relaxer or a keratin treatment. There are no chemicals, so your curls won’t be permanently altered or fried, just softened a bit, until you wash the treatment out with the included clarifying shampoo. It moisturizes, smooths, and de-puffs your curls, giving you the sleekest blowout ever — or a more manageable natural look.  And it’s only ten bucks.

photo

Honestly, it’s really just an intensely deep conditioner loaded with good-for-you moisturizers like coconut, aloe, shea butter, and mango butter. No shade, I couldn’t imagine how a non-chemical straightening system could give me uber-smooth, swingy strands (edges included) — but yesterday, I went to LW Salon in midtown Manhattan for my treatment, and promptly became a believer. Just look:

Before.

Before.

After. Have I ever lied to you?

After. Have I ever lied to you?

Do you see how straight my roots are? That was really my concern. Somehow, I can get the length of my hair pretty straight, but my roots always give away my natural status. The TMS did away with all that. I’m amazed. Get you some.

xo,

Tia

1. February 28, 2014 7:12 pm  Reply

The results look great. I think my only gripe, if you can even call it that, with these products as it pertains to my hair, is that any stylist can give me a sleep blowout w/o extra stuff. If I want prolonged results, I typically opt for a Brazilian Blowout, otherwise, it’s just another great blowout that will be gone once I wash my hair… but it’s great to have additional products for curly girls and more options in general.

Sidebar: Your hair is slaying the world! I absolutely adore the color. Makes me wanna go blonde-ish again.

2. March 1, 2014 1:24 am  Reply

I’m so glad I saw another woman try this! I watched a few YouTube videos but they never said on the site how much the product was. This definitely would have helped when I was transitioning so I could still have the length I had before I BC’d. I love my TWA and now I know there’s an option if I ever wanna go straight without changing my texture permanently

3. Dawn
    April 6, 2014 11:16 pm  Reply

Are there special instructions for use on color treated hair? I’ve watched several videos but the issue of colored hair doesn’t come up. Thanks!

• twilliams
      April 7, 2014 7:18 am  Reply

There’s no change in the instructions for colored hair. Go for it!

4. Mary Rhodes
    May 19, 2014 3:50 pm  Reply

Hi,
    I am Soooo excited! I just purchased the kit but also purchased color, something lighter than my original color so I’ll have to lighten my black hair. Should I lighten, color then use Beautiful Textures? Or which steps would you take first?

Thanks Mary

5. Mary Rhodes
    May 20, 2014 2:17 pm  Reply

Another question, my hair is dark brown & looks black so I am positive I will need to lighten it since I tried a patch test with my color & it didn’t even show as colored. What is a safe way to lighten my hair? I have been told peroxide and water in a spray bottle. What I want is my hair to look like it’s tinted, not actually colored. Something that can be seen in sunlight or under bright lights. Any suggestions before I apply my color?

• twilliams
      May 20, 2014 2:35 pm  Reply

Honey, don’t lighten your hair at home. Going lighter is complicated (it definitely requires peroxide and sometimes bleach), so it really takes a pro to do it right. It’s easy to over process it, and you DON’T want your hair to break off. Especially right before summer :)

6. Nshaikh
    October 17, 2014 1:56 pm  Reply

Hi, great review! I wanted to know does the hair stay straight when water touches it? I know it has the anti reversion shampoo but is that just to keep the product from stripping off your hair or does it actually keep it straight in water?